Question on bss transition mgmt request

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Apr 7 06:45:33 PDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 06:25:08AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I notice that the  ieee802_11_send_bss_trans_mgmt_request currently never sends
> any preferred candidates.
>
> In case where we have neighbors configured, would it be reasonable to send
> those in the response (and set mgmt->u.action.u.bss_tm_req.req_mode to 0x1)?

I don't think there would be any point in advertising known neighbors
unless there is actually some good reason to believe that they are
better for the particular station.

> Is there some better way to do this?

Implementation of upper layer management component that tracks each
station connected to the ESS and tracks signal strength to each BSS in
the ESS and channel use on each BSS/channel and then uses this
information to determine which BSS would provide best throughput overall
for the combination of all stations connected to the ESS..