wpa_supplicant stops carrying traffic after some hours

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Sat Mar 3 07:13:54 PST 2018

I have a current Arch system on a dual core Pentium D Sony desktop machine running a PCICard Qualcomm Atheros AR5416 Wireless Network Adapter through a Ricoh RL5c475 PCI CardBus bridge adapter.  The Access Point is running LEDE/OpenWRT.

wpa_supplicant 1:2.6-11
linux 4.15.7-1

After a few hours, the wireless traffic continues to work on the local network, but just stops working across the outside network.  Now, this sounds like some problem with the Access Point or with the router - which is a linux desktop machine - but restarting wpa_supplicant on the remote machine fixes the problem.  The IP addresses and the routing table seem normal, but outside traffic seems to be dropped at the interface.  There is no firewall running, so that should not be an issue.

I suspect that wpa_supplicant is the problem, because a wpa_supplicant restart fixes things, but I don't know how else to troubleshoot this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
James