Wi-Fi Access Point Powered by Hostapd Sends Malformed Packets to 65th Client

Daniel Miess DMiess at sierrawireless.com
Tue Jun 19 08:44:05 PDT 2018

Hello Everyone,

I am debugging an issue I have with an access point powered by Hostapd. Hostapd was built with the default defconfig configuration and is using a Wi-Fi card which uses Ath10k drivers. I am running a test where I attempt to connect 128 clients to an access point running on the card in rapid succession. I am able to connect 64 clients to the card in about 6 or 7 seconds but once the 65th client is reached the process stalls. Responses from the access point to authentication requests from this client are malformed, being sent out with incorrect frame check sequences. I do not encounter this issue when running hostapd 2.5 but observe it with 100% reproducibility on version 2.6 as well as the latest git master branch. By bisecting I was able to narrow down my issue to a pair of commits: dc55b6b & bb598c3. These commits are seeking to "Add support for full station state operations".

Is there someone familiar with the work done in these check-ins who can comment on why I might be seeing this behavior and what I might be able to do to work around it?

Thanks,
Daniel