Dual band

Fejes József jozsef.fejes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 04:28:53 PST 2018

Hi,

This question was asked a couple of years ago (eg. here
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/hostap/2012-January/025117.html)
with a negative answer.

However, it seems like things have changed in Linux at least. Recent
wifi cards support multiple virtual interfaces with multiple channels.
Eg. with the command: iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type __ap .
Thus even if I have one card with one chip, I can have multiple wlan
devices and the card will handle communication with different
bands/channels accordingly.

My question is, does hostap work with such virtually created
interfaces for the same chip?

It would be even better if hostap could create such virtual interfaces
on its own. Is it supported or is it going to be supported?

Cheers,
Jozsef