How to know the frequency of AP mode

Grégoire Gentil gregoire at gentil.com
Mon Nov 20 09:46:25 PST 2017

My question is summarized here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47398018/hostapd-how-to-know-the-frequency-of-ap-mode

"On Linux, I'm using hostapd in AP mode. In other words, the system is
the hotspot.

I would like to know what is the frequency of the Wi-Fi via c code (or a
bash script that I could translate to c code).

The following code which queries the kernel, only works in normal mode.
It fails in AP mode.

ioctl(net_sock, SIOCGIWFREQ, &wrq);

In bash, I have tried:

iwconfig
iw dev

but it doesn't report the frequency of the Wi-Fi. Same problem: it only
reports in normal mode when the system associates to a router but
nothing in AP mode.

How can I query hostapd to know the frequency hostapd is using or is
configured to use?"

Grégoire