Question on retry-auth work-around in driver_Nl80211.c

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Nov 9 17:32:36 PST 2017

In the wpa_driver_nl80211_authenticate, there is this work-around code:

                         wpa_printf(MSG_DEBUG, "nl80211: Retry authentication "
				   "after forced deauthentication");
			drv->ignore_deauth_event = 1;

I had disabled this back in 2014 to fix endless re-auth attempts when trying 130+ virtual stations
(probably on a slow-ish ath9k system).

But today, I ran into a case where a user actually appears to need the work-around,
and the end result is that the station did not ever get associated since I hacked
out this retry.  So, I'm going to try re-enabling it.

While looking at the code, I began to wonder if the drv->ignore_deauth_event should be
tied to a specific bss object instead of the drv object?  And, maybe add a time
delay between doing this deauth in case it still races?  For instance, don't
do the deauth work-around more than once every 15 seconds for a given bss?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>