FT status and macvlan performance problems

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at openmesh.com
Fri Mar 24 07:25:00 PDT 2017

Hi Michael,

sorry for the late follow-up, I'd like to discuss and issue regarding your FT
patches sent by you. We have tested both Benjamin and your patches, and found
some performance problems. With our QCA9558/988x (using ath10k) based Access
points, enabling macvlans on top of bridges result in an performance drop of
30-40%.

We have investigated the reason, and it seems like enabling promiscous mode is
causing this problem. We have seen that Benjamins version of using a raw
socket on the bridge [1] can be used without enabling promiscous mode and
keeping the higher performance. However, we when using macvlan, promiscous
mode seems to always be enabled implicitly.

So far, I have not seen your patch [2] merged and it's marked deferred in
patchwork [3]. Are you still working on the patch? Or is it in some queue
which I didn't find, or superseded somehow? Would you consider reworking it to
be usable without macvlans?

Thank you!
     Simon

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/hostap/msg02219.html