wpa_supplicant auto reconnect

Jake Magee jake at jakemagee.com
Wed Mar 15 09:35:27 PDT 2017

Is there a way to force wpa_supplicant to auto reconnect to networks
(and not TEMP_DISABLE them)?  I'm getting the following messages and
it appears that wpa_supplicant stops trying to connect to the network.
I'm not sure if the ASSOC-REJECT is due to encountering a bad AP, or
just really poor signal strength.  But either way, I would really
prefer for it to continue to attempt connections so that when I come
back in range of a good AP that I automatically connect (this is a
headless embedded system).

wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: Trying to associate with e8:ed:f3:ba:b6:61
(SSID='EXAMPLE_AP' freq=2462 MHz)
wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT status_code=16
wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0
ssid="EXAMPLE_AP" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED

I can connect to the serial console and execute `wpa_cli reconfigure`
to get the connection back up and running when back in range of a good
AP.  It seems that the ASSOC-REJECT sets the network to TEMP-DISABLED,
which prevents auto reconnecting?

Thanks,
Jake Magee