efforts to migrate the wpa_supplicant config lexer/parser to lex/yacc?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Mar 1 00:27:24 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 04:21:55PM +0100, Andreas Grapentin wrote:
> While doing that, I noticed that the config parser is much more verbose
> than it would have to be, given the simplicity of the grammar of the
> config files - I think that if it were to be migrated to flex/bison,
> there would be an order of magnitude less code, and probably be more
> robust and flexible.

I'm not going to believe that an order of magnitude part before seeing a
patch showing how this could be done without breaking backwards
compatibility with all existing uses..

> Has there been any effort in this direction? I assume this has already
> been brought up before, and there are good reasons to keep it the way it
> is, but I had to ask :)

I'm not aware of such effort. Configuration format has come up, but I
don't remember use of flex/bison being proposed as an alternative.