Potential Bug in 802.11 Open-Authentication State Machine

Jinghao Shi jinghaos at buffalo.edu
Sun Jan 15 11:14:34 PST 2017

Hi Jouni,

Thanks for the pointers. I did observed some peculiar behavior of the
assoc state machine. It's mostly at the client side (mac80211 MLME),
but I thought you may be interested as well.

In the experiment, the rate control policy was set to re-transmit the
packet at most once before reporting the packet as failed. This may
not be realistic in practice but helps reveal interesting behaviors
faster. The jamming policy I used was to jam the ack of the ASSOC_REQ
packet and it's retransmision, such that the client thinks the
ASSOC_REQ failed but the AP actually received the ASSOC_REQ packet.
That is:

 - ASSOC_REQ
 - ACK <--- jammed
 - ASSOC_REQ_RETRY <--- jammed
 - ASSOC_RESP
 - ACK
 - ...

I'm attaching the sniffer trace during this jamming session. From the
AP (hostapd)'s perspective, the client sends another ASSOC_REQ packet
after already acknowledging the ASSOC_RESP packet. And the EAPOL
handshake process seems confused too.

I'll ping the mac80211 mail list about why the client's behavior.
It'll be great if you can comment on the hostapd's logic in this
situation as well.

Thanks,
Jinghao