dynamic vlan with ath10k not working - regression

M. Braun michael-dev at fami-braun.de
Fri May 13 00:18:39 PDT 2016

Hi,

Am 12.05.2016 um 17:28 schrieb Guenther Kelleter:
>> What exactly is not working in the static VLAN case?
>> I can configure an SSID to be part of a non-dynamic vlan in OpenWrt,
>> i.e. that all stations are put in the configured vlan-bridge. This
>> doesn't create a wlan0.<VLAN-ID> interface but uses the plain wlan0.
>> I can't see anything not working in this case before this fix was
>> added.
>> Maybe you're talking about a different thing?

When configuring non-wildcard vlans with config option vlan_file ,
hostapd will create the AP_VLAN (= wlan0.xyz) interfaces during process
startup and possibly add them to a bridge. This is what I call
"static" VLANs, as their AP_VLAN interfaces are present all the time
while hostapd runs.
That way the (static) AP_VLAN interfaces might already transmit
broadcast or multicast frames even when there is no station associated
in this VLAN.
If hostapd does not configure any WPA group key to the AP_VLAN
interface, it will transmit unencrypted.

> Adding this patch the station can associate again and the tagged wlan interface is created and put into the vlan-bridge. But I don't know what negative consequences it could cause:

I guess it basically makes hostapd believe it already configured a group
key to the AP_VLAN interface and thus nullifies the fix. I might as well
also break other things.

Regards,
M. Braun