eapol_test and MSCHAPv2 691 - Retry allowed

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Mar 18 00:21:25 PDT 2016

Hello,

here's a little feature request: when using eapol_test and talking to a
PEAP/MSCHAPv2 server without knowing the account password, usually the
conversation ends in Access-Reject immediately.

However, some servers send E=691 Retry Allowed back and wait for the
client side to send another password.

In these situations, eapol_test just sits there until ^C or timeout.
Sure: it has no other password to try, and there is no protocol message
for "Thanks for allowing, but I don't want to".

Question: would it be possible to bail out of the conversation instead
of waiting for timeout? I could imagine either
* eapol_test quitting with a matching error message
* eapol_test sending TLS close back, tearing down the EAP session in a
way that the server knows about it, too

The latter has the advantage of not leaving a "dangling" session on the
server as it waits for a response.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--