Scan after connecting to a hidden network , lists the hidden network in scan results

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 13:00:53 PST 2016

On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 14:36 -0500, marc miller wrote:
> HI,
>
> In my setup , during initial scan with wpa_supplicant, i don't see my
> hidden network. Once i configure and connect to it, if i do the same
> scan again, the hidden network shows up in the scan results and this
> time the ssid is actually being broadcasted. How can i prevent this ?

The SSID isn't being broadcast over the air.  Locally, once you either
(a) connect to the AP, which requires knowing the SSID already, or (b)
do an active scan for that SSID, then the driver and network stack now
know the SSID and fill it into the scan results.  The network is still
not broadcasting its SSID in beacons though.

It's not something that needs to be prevented.  SSID hiding is not a
security measure and it's easily defeated.

Dan