Connecting external registrar to wpa_supplicant?

Morten Bruun morten.bruun at apide.com
Fri Mar 4 06:26:17 PST 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying to build an access point with the following structure

[I hope the ascii diagram survives gmail plain text mode]

|  Homebrew AP                           |
|  +----------------------------------+  |
|  |                                  |  |
|  | some magic component             |  |        +--------------------+
|  |                                  |  |        |                    |
|  +----------------------------------+  |        | External Registrar |
|                                        +--------+                    |
|  +----------------------------------+  |        |                    |
|  |                                  |  |        |                    |
|  |  wpa_supplicant (ER mode)        |  |        |                    |
|  +----------------------------------+  |
|  +---------------+  +---------------+  |        +--------------------+
|  | hostapd       |  | hostapd       |  |        |                    |
|  | 2.4G Radio    |  | 5G Radio      |  |        | Enrollee           |
|  |               |  |               |  +--------+                    |
|  +---------------+  +---------------+  |        |                    |
|                                        |        |                    |
+----------------------------------------+        +--------------------+

The wpa_supplicant in the Homebrew AP is external registrar for
the two radios. The communication between these are kept on a
subnet that I do not wish to expose.

I would like to authenticate enrollees using an external
registrar, but I'm not sure how to do that, hence the 'magic
component'.

I was thinking if hostapd could be used for this. But I can't see
exactly how this could be done. Do I need to build my own UPnP
component to do the communication between the wpa_supplicant in
the AP and the external registrar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Morten