hostapd: logging to syslog (and in general)

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 06:20:44 PST 2016

On 2 March 2016 at 13:14, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking about a way of fixing this but then I noticed how many
> dependencies, different functions, config options, etc. do we have in
> hostapd all around.
>
> I'm wondering if there is any plan to handle messages printing a bit
> easier? Or do you have any advises where to start? It seems to need
> some refactoring and opinion of someone with better overview would be
> great.

I realized that "logger_syslog_level" and "logger_stdout_level" are
per-BSS options and they can't really be mapped into any global
variable used by _wpa_printf.

So it seems we're really have to be dealing with 3 different levels:
1) "logger_syslog_level"
2) "logger_stdout_level"
3) wpa_debug_syslog

I'm thinking about adding some "-s" parameter to the hostapd (similar
to wpa_supplicant one) and then modifying hostapd_logger_cb to don't
use wpa_printf for printing to stdout. Does it make sense?

--
Rafał