Bug with OpenSSL engine initialization in tls_engine_load_dynamic_generic

Michael Schaller misch at google.com
Mon Jun 6 05:13:07 PDT 2016

David explains correctly what happens. This started happening for us
on Debian testing with the release of the libengine-pkcs11-openssl
package version 0.2.1-2 in March 2016 and it took us a while to
analyze the issue. The package had changed the libpkcs11.so location
from /usr/lib/ssl/engines/libpkcs11.so to
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openssl-1.0.2/engines/libpkcs11.so. Since
this move the autoload of the pkcs11 engine on the ENGINE_by_id call
works and we get a pkcs11 engine initialized for the use of p11-kit
instead of the expected initialization for the specified opencryptoki
module. We initialize the pkcs11 engine and module path via D-Bus via
the SetPKCS11EngineAndModulePath method.

David, is the general recommendation to switch over to p11-kit?