Binder interface for wpa_supplicant?

Paul Stewart pstew at google.com
Tue Jan 26 08:07:00 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 15:18 -0800, Christopher Wiley wrote:
> >
> > Agreed that for any non-trivial amount of logic, sharing it among as
> > many interfaces as possible becomes desirable.  I'm less sure how
> > much generation should be going on.  Our internal prototypes of this
> > interface (in Binder) generate the serialization boilerplate if
> > that's what you have in mind. Unfortunately, differences in type
> > systems and semantics between DBus and Binder make a common interface
> > specification kind of its own project.
>
> Yeah, that may very well be true. I haven't thought it to the logical
> end I guess :)

I'll add the obligatory comment that for other projects we did end up
writing a tool [1]
for taking in an XML D-Bus interface definition (as taken from an
introspection) and
generating abstract object definitions for all of the D-Bus RPC objects in our
applications.  This meant that implementing the functionality just
required writing a
subclass of each of these generated objects.  We ended up adding a couple small
annotations to the XML, e.g., asynchronous vs. synchronous methods.

As Christopher says, Binder has it's own interface definition language
and semantics.
Writing a "master interface definition language" to generate those two
other definition
languages sounds a little too academic. :-)

[1] https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/dbus-binding-generator/