EAP-TLV: Earlier failure - force failed Phase 2

Adam Jacobs AJacobs at mocana.com
Mon Jan 4 14:46:43 PST 2016

Well, this is weird.

My laptop runs Ubuntu, and when I reproduced the error, it was invoking wpa_supplicant via NetworkManager.  Of course, to test disabling TLS1.2, I had to shut off NetworkManager and invoke wpa_supplicant manually.

What I've now discovered is that if I invoke wpa_supplicant manually, everything works fine even if I DON'T disable TLS1.2.  My config looks like this:

network={
  ssid="Mocana-SECURE"
  key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
  eap=PEAP
  identity="ajacobs"
  password="**********"
  phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
  ca_cert="/usr/local/etc/MocanaRoot.pem"
}

So it must be something about the way NetworkManager is calling/managing NetworkSupplicant that causes this failure.  Unfortunately I don't know of any way to debug that further, and as I've shown wpa_supplicant to be working properly it is probably no longer the domain of this group, Still, I'm happy to take suggestions if anyone has any ideas for debugging further.

Serves me right for using NetworkManager in the first place.

Adam