Accounting-On and Accounting-Off being sent on a per-BSS basis not per-NAS

Nick Lowe nick.lowe at lugatech.com
Thu Feb 25 02:25:49 PST 2016

What constitutes the whole NAS is where the NAS-Identifier,
NAS-IP-Address and NAS-IPv6-Address, where present, are the same in
Access-Requests and Accounting-Requests.

If we ensured that the NAS-Identifier was different on a per-BSS
basis, there shouldn't be such a problem with the
Accounting-On/Accounting-Off behaviour. Any issues would be as a
result of a RADIUS server mishandling the NAS-Identifier.

Is that something that we could/should consider?

>From RFC 2865:

"5.32.  NAS-Identifier

   Description

      This Attribute contains a string identifying the NAS originating
      the Access-Request.  It is only used in Access-Request packets.
      Either NAS-IP-Address or NAS-Identifier MUST be present in an
      Access-Request packet."

I agree with the idea of making this configurable but with the proviso
that the default behaviour be changed so that it doesn't cause the
current problems.

Nick