Acct-Delay-Time missing with RADIUS accounting

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Feb 22 12:52:18 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:44:27PM +0000, Nick Lowe wrote:
> Thinking more about the Interim-Update case, whether or not to resend
> an Accounting-Request packet of this form should depend on when the
> end of the next interval will fall.
>
> If, for example, the end next interval is not going to be until 5
> minutes away, hostapd absolutely should not wait until then to retry.

I was assuming that retries for Interim-Update would happen with the
same timing as they do now, but instead of being retries with same
statistics and new Acct-Delay-Time value, they would have new statistics
and no Acct-Delay-Time (or 0 if we get to implementing Acct-Delay-Time
for some cases). In other words, if the attribute values are going to
change, go ahead and update all the dynamic data at the same time. I
don't really see why there would be need for retrying an Interim-Update
with the old statistics.

Or is there some reason to avoid more frequent Interim-Update value
updates? I'd assume not especially taken into account RFC 2869 language
on NAS having option to override the interval and also use of a fudge
factor on the interval..