Fast connect after losing Link

Adam Moore adam.moore at savantsystems.com
Sat Feb 13 09:55:52 PST 2016

Hey Naveen,

On 2/12/16, 12:17 PM, "Hostap on behalf of Naveen Singh"
<hostap-bounces at lists.infradead.org on behalf of
naveensingh0977 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> wpa_supplicant_mark_disassoc
>>> from wpa_supplicant_event_disassoc_finish function we pass another
>>> argument as state and make that as WPA_ASSOCIATING. Something like
>>> this:
>>
>> I don't think that works either, unfortunately.  There's no way to know
>> if the ASSOCIATING state is appropriate or not because at this point,
>> the supplicant doesn't know if it will immediately begin associating
>> with an AP or if there are no available APs.
>>
>> The more I think about this, the more I think Connman just has its idea
>> of disconnection wrong.  The supplicant defines the DISCONNECTED state
>> as being disconnected from any AP but still attempting to find an AP to
>> associate with.  Even if all APs have been blacklisted, the supplicant
>> will eventually clear the blacklist and try to associate to the SSID
>> again.  Since Connman only sends one network block, you know exactly
>> which SSID it will attempt to associate with.
>>
>> When L2 drops the supplicant will attempt to reconnect only to the SSID
>> of the enabled network block sent by Connman. When the supplicant
>> enters the DISCONNECTED state from a previously-connected state,
>> Connman could start a short timer (15 or 20 seconds?) and wait for the
>> ASSOCIATING state to happen.  If the supplicant does begin associating
>> that's great, wait for COMPLETED and leave L3 up and running.  But if
>> the timer expires, it's likely the supplicant doesn't have anything to
>> connect to, and L3 can be torn down.
>>
>> Does that seem like reasonable behavior?  I think the supplicant's
>> behavior is currently sufficient for the problem you describe, just
>> that Connman's interpretation of that behavior is somewhat wrong.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>> static void wpa_supplicant_event_disassoc_finish(struct
>>> wpa_supplicant
>>> *wpa_s, u16 reason_code, int locally_generated)
>>> {
>>>      //existing piece of code
>>>      wpa_supplicant_mark_disassoc(wpa_s, WPA_ASSOCIATING);
>>>

>>> }
>>>
>>> void wpa_supplicant_mark_disassoc(struct wpa_supplicant *wpa_s, int
>>> state)
>>> {
>>> //existing piece of cide
>>> wpa_supplicant_set_state(wpa_s, state);
>>> }
>>>
>>> Does this sound logical or we see any issue over here?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Naveen

>Connman only operates on SSID level. All its API (whether AddNetwork,
>RemoveNetwork, Disconnect etc) all are for SSID. So connman treats the
>disconnect notification as a disconnect from a SSID which I guess is a
>fair assumption (going by the logic of symmetric API).
>
>I agree that changing the state to association is not a good idea for
>the reason you mentioned. I think the right way would be to either
>have two events as agreed with Jouni or having wpa_s not notify
>connman at all till it has tried all the BSSID of a specific ESS.

Thanks very much for looking into these issues - I am wrestling with
problems like these too (slow reconnects or no reconnects, especially in
high interference areas). However, I’m working on a headless device which
will always be configured to a single network. I’m encouraged by your
observation that removing the network disable code in connman greatly
improves your reconnect time. I would love to see that become a permanent
change if there is only a single favorite network in Connman in order to
give those devices the same reconnect speed as if they were just using
supplicant.

I¹m still very much a student of supplicant and connman, but regarding the
question of when Connman should decide to abandon the current ESS or radio
technology, I¹m nervous about delaying DISCONNECTED, as I agree it is
important to indicate an L2 drop or transition regardless of how temporary
it is. I also don¹t think the event should continue to be an indication
that Connman should immediately give up on the ESS, as giving supplicant a
shot at changing BSS within the ESS may minimize disruption, even if there
is a slightly better network available.

The task of deciding when to make a switch seems ideally suited for
Connman by leveraging the data it exclusively holds regarding
available radios, active sessions, configured networks and their signal
strengths, and user preferences.  Detailed disconnect or recovery state
may be relatively insignificant compared to Connman's data once it is put
to use, but it probably wouldn¹t hurt to expose some of that.  Deauth
reason codes may be particularly useful at higher layers.

Cheers,
-Adam