Fast connect after losing Link

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Feb 5 11:43:56 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:33:16PM -0800, Naveen Singh wrote:
> I was looking into the code for fast_connect from
> wpa_supplicant_event_disassoc_finish and it looks like we try to
> connect to same BSS. If it is trying to connect to same BSS how does
> it helping us in solving band steering or load balancing problem. If
> the connect request is invoked from wpas_select_network_from_last_scan
> we may have a different BSSID and then I can understand it is trying
> to connect to a different BSSID. Am I missing something here?
>
> if (fast_reconnect) {
> #ifndef CONFIG_NO_SCAN_PROCESSING
> wpa_dbg(wpa_s, MSG_DEBUG, "Try to reconnect to the same BSS");

Please note that fast_reconnect is set only if
disconnect_reason_recoverable() indicates that there is reason to
believe the same AP would accept the STA back, i.e., this is not the
band steering/load balancing case. This is the case where the AP drops
an association due to inactivity or some unexpected state mismatch. The
band steering/load balancing case goes through temporary blacklisting of
the BSSID with which the STA was associated when the disconnection
indication happened and an attempt to connect to the same ESS (i.e.,
find another BSSID in the same ESS that is not blacklisted).