Fast connect after losing Link

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Feb 3 04:16:38 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 11:56:09PM -0800, Naveen Singh wrote:
> Just after losing wifi link because of an incoming deauth with reason
> code 6 or 7, wpa_supplicant sets the fast_reconnect and
> fast_reconnect_ssid to current bss and current ssid.
>
> Later on  if fast_reconnect is not NULL it tries to connect to same
> SSID. This makes sense for some devices which does not use connman.
> Devices using wpa_supplicant with connman this connect is not useful
> at all as connman when it gets notified of this disconnect would
> disable the network that would end up causing a locally generated
> deauth and would nullify this connection attempt.

Why would connman do something like that? Large number of enterprise APs
use Deauthentication frames to force load balancing and/or band
steering. Disabling the network profile immediately on a disconnection
event sounds like something that would result in pretty bad user
experience in such networks.

> In stead of having this feature turned on all the time, it would be
> good to have a configuration from connman. Initialized value of this
> configuration would be turned on meaning fast connect is enabled and
> devices using connman along with wpa_supplicant would disable this
> feature.
>
> Does this make sense?

If I understood the issue correctly, it sounds like the better direction
would be to modify connman..