Best Wi-Fi chipsets for Linux and hostapd?

Guan Xin guanx.bac at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 08:39:38 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Andrew Shadura <andrew at shadura.me> wrote:

> Ralink never worked as a host with WPA for me for some reason. Maybe I
> misconfigured it, but after I swapped it for an Atheros chip it started
> working immediately.

Thanks for adding information! It would be helpful if you can share
what specific problems you have met.

Atheros has big problems with regulatory, including transmission power
and frequency range. e.g., in one place where I am using an AR9462 as
an AP, channels 1, 5, and 9 have been occupied by nearby devices and
channel 13, which is the only usable channel, is not allowed by the
firmware. I could only use it in the 5GHz band.
None of RT5370, RTL8192, and RTL8812 have similar problems.