connection hangs after wpa_supplicant re-key

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Dec 13 20:53:19 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:09:31PM +0200, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 03:21:22PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > I've found that my wifi connection always seems to hang after a few
> > hours unless I dramatically increase "dot11RSNAConfigPMKLifetime".
> > What's the best way to further debug (and hopefully find the root
> > cause of this issue)?  What's the down side to increasing this value?
> >
> > I'm using wpa_supplicant from git (31d3692f) on an openwrt based
> > router (tp-link archer c7 / ath10k).  The 5ghz radio in the router is
> > setup as a client using WPA2-EAP / TTLS / MSCHAPv2.  I don't have
> > admin access to the AP, but it appears to be a "Ruckus Wireless
> > ZoneFlex 802.11ac wave 2 4x4 access point".
>
> Did you happen to figure out how to resolve this issue or find any more
> details on the issue?

Hi Jouni,

Thanks for looking at this.  I don't have much additional information.
Since setting "dot11RSNAConfigPMKLifetime=31536000" the connection has
been stable for the last four months.  I just tried reverting that
setting and I can confirm the issue is still present.

[...]
> Some notes above on what this would take.. Either debug from AP or
> sniffer capture and all the needed keys for analysis.

I'm not familiar with setting up a wifi sniffer capture, but if you'd
like to track this down and it's something I can do from this openwrt
based router or from a Linux machine then I'm willing to set it up.  I
don't think getting access to the AP is practical.

-Kevin