HostAPd WPA Enterprise fails on Windows 10

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Dec 13 10:35:26 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 12:09:40PM -0500, Thomas d'Otreppe wrote:

> I used the default config and an ath9k_htc device (TP-Link TL-WN722N
> to be precise) if that matters.
>
> I copied the log on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/jwtn1TWN

So the failure happens when the server needs to fragment a long TLS
message (the one that includes the certificate chain from the server).
For some reason, the Windows 10 supplicant seems to send out an extra
fragment ACK (an empty EAP-PEAP message) after the full fragmented frame
has been sent out. In my earlier test, I used a shorter certificate and
there was no fragmentation, but I now confirmed that even the fragmented
case works fine for me with Windows 10 as the client.

Did you use a completely new network profile on Windows 10, i.e.,
something that has not connected to any other authentication server
before? I'm not sure what type of validation steps are performed at
this step, but if the client has means for verifying that the server
certificate is trusted or known, it could stop authentication here.

In any case, it sounds like someone would need to get debug output from
Windows 10 to figure out why it either rejects the message from the
server (though, uses a bit strange message for doing so, i.e., an empty
message instead of TLS alert or disconnection) or why it thinks there is
still some fragments coming up.