Hostapd does not contact radius server

Guan Xin guanx.bac at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:13:18 PDT 2016

To answer my own question:

Switching off "require_ht" in hostapd configuration solves the problem.

With "require_ht=1", "hostapd -d" gives the following message when
using EAP authentication:
-------------------- >8 --------------------
association request: STA=00:3f:8b:xx:xx:xx capab_info=0x11
listen_interval=2 seq_ctrl=0xa800
WMM IE - hexdump(len=7): 00 50 f2 02 00 01 00
Validating WMM IE: OUI 00:50:f2  OUI type 2  OUI sub-type 0  version 1
QoS info 0x0
wlan1: STA 00:3f:8b:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: No supported rates element in AssocReq
The client cannot associate, and times out.

Their is no "No supported rates element in AssocReq" with
"require_ht=0" and everything works.
HT is still available after association.

This is 100% reproducible with ath9k and rt2800usb APs.

Could HostAP developers please tell me if this is expected, or should
I report a bug?

Regards,
Guan