How can I tell what capabilities are built in to a wpa_supplicant executable?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 09:01:08 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-16 at 12:45 +0000, Blanquicet-Melendez Jose (MM) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is something anologue to this which allows to know the HT and
> VHT capabilties? And also if wpa_supplicant was built using those
> option (CONFIG_IEEE80211N and CONFIG_IEEE80211AC)?.
> It would be really useful on the upper layers in order to know if
> 80211n and 80211ac can be enabled when setting up an AP mode
> operation.

Not yet, but would be pretty trivial to add to interface capabilities
in the D-Bus interface.  Since this is dependent on the driver and
hardware, it should be an interface capability and not a supplicant
global capability (obviously would be disabled if the supplicant wasn't
built with IEEE80211N and AC).

sudo dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1
/fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1/Interfaces/7
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll
string:"fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface"

is where that kind of thing should show up if implemented.  Not sure
about the socket-based control interface, but I can't find it in a 20s
look.

Dan