Half-open sockets

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Aug 13 11:16:02 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 07:56:49AM +0300, Flavius Lazar wrote:
> I have a test that simulates the use case when my device passes out of
> AP coverage exactly in the moment when it tries to connect to the AP.
> I'm running this test in a loop and I noticed that I run out of open
> file descriptors in my application's process. Checking with lsof I can
> see a lot of sockets with "can't identify protocol". I do not open any
> sockets in my application. So, I'm wondering if they might be from the
> control interface part - there it uses unix domain sockets to send the
> commands to wpa_supplicant?

What do you mean by not opening any sockets in your application? If it
is communicating with the wpa_supplicant control interface, it is going
to be opening a socket for that.. Are you sure that this socket is
getting closed eventually? How do you send the command to wpa_supplicant
from your application?