Question on ht40_intolerant

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Apr 28 15:13:21 PDT 2016

On 04/28/2016 10:43 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 06:42:15AM -0700, Ann Lo wrote:
>> We are hoping to limit our wpa_supplicant to get connections with 20
>> MHz channel width only. Is it adequate to set "ht40_intolerant=1"?
>> Usually 40 MHz intolerance is used on 2.4 GHz band. Can we use it for
>> 5 GHz band?
>
> ht40_intolerant=1 does not prevent use of 40 MHz by the local device..
> It is trying to make everyone in range not use 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz..
> disable_ht40=1 might work for this, if I understood what you are trying
> to do correctly.

In case the desire is to have a VHT-20 station on a VHT80 AP, I am not
sure it can be done.  disable-ht40 might allow you to have an HT-20 station
on VHT80 AP.

 From what I recall, there is no way to advertise a VHT-20 station since the
spec does not allow for a VHT station that cannot do VHT-80.

At least with some driver hacking and proper firmware, it would be possible to
disable all 40 and 80Mhz rates, so the station would always transmit 20Mhz
rates, but it would still be receiving up to 80Mhz wide packets...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>