eduroam disconnects with reason=3 (WPA-EAP, PEAP, MSCHAPv2)

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Apr 17 11:59:34 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 09:37:51PM +0300, Sergei Sinyak wrote:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/99d68f2f05af967101a9502c96ffb8ec
> Here is wpa_supplicant log from `wpa_supplicant -u -dd` command. It is
> taken from my laptop that doesn't connect. But i can try to get the
> same log from working machine. Probably next time.

The authentication attempt in that log fails immediately after PEAP is
started at the point when wpa_supplicant is sending the TLS ClientHello
message from OpenSSL to the server. The server rejects that with
EAP-Failure.

It is difficult to say what causes this, but my first guess would be
that the authentication server is broken and does not handle some of the
extensions that OpenSSL is adding to ClientHello.