Help debug my authentication issue? (Part 1)

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Oct 15 15:00:38 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01:37PM -0700, Frank Rizzo wrote:
> >It looks like hostapd is sending out EAP-Request/Identity to the
> >station, but does not receive any response to that. That message made it
> >to the station based on this:

> >But it is not clear what the station did here, i.e. whether it tried to
> >reply or not.. This would require either getting more detailed debug
> >information from the station (e.g., enable wpa_supplicant debugging and
> >check logcat if this is on Android) or a wireless sniffer capture of the
> >frames exchanged between the device (to check whether the station
> >replied with EAP-Response/Identity).
> >

> Is THIS the station responding?  It's sending it's user name "tablet"

> D/wpa_supplicant( 1287): TX EAPOL - hexdump(len=15): 01 00 00 0b 02
> 83 00 0b 01 74 61 62 6c 65 74

Yes, it looks like the station is able to receive the
EAP-Request/Identity from the AP and at least wpa_supplicant is trying
to send out the response. Since hostapd logs did not show that response
arrive, it is being dropped somewhere in the path from wpa_supplicant to
host.

A wireless sniffer could be used to confirm whether the frame was really
sent by the driver.

Which WLAN driver are you using on the AP and how is the network
configured as far as bridging is used (i.e., is the WLAN netdev in a
bridge)?