DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1 / nl80211: Failed to start radar

Zefir Kurtisi zefir.kurtisi
Thu Oct 8 05:59:12 PDT 2015

Hello Sahana,

as a follow up from what Michal already wrote: you need to ensure that the driver
is compiled with DFS support.

To double check, run 'iw phy0 info' and check for an output like this:
> valid interface combinations:
>   * #{ managed } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>     total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>   * #{ WDS } <= 2048,
>     total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>   * #{ IBSS, AP, mesh point } <= 1,
>     total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz }

Ensure that there are valid radar detect widths.

Next step is to ensure that a DFS countrycode is selected (DFS channels in the
same output need to be tagged as 'usable').

Only then it becomes a hostapd issue and you should look carefully into the debug
log by running 'hostapd -ddt /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf' and see if and how
hostapd reacts on the events received.

Good Luck,
Zefir