Client reboots, can't reconnect for 5-8 minutes?

Frank Rizzo thefrankrizzo at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:38:34 PST 2015

Hey guys,

This is something that I'm observing, and I'm hoping it's been seen
before, and there's a simple solution.

I have hostap setup and running, with freeradius.  I connect to the server
with an android tablet.

The 1st connection after a fresh reboot of the server, and the tablet
connects IMMEDIATELY, and works fine.  If I reboot the tablet, it can't
connect to the server for a period of time.  (Most recent tests were 5,
and 8 minutes).  After this time has elapsed, it connects quickly, and
works fine.  I assumed it was a long inactivity timeout being set, and
hostap was assuming that the tablet was still connected, and refusing to
allow it to connect again.  So, I added ap_max_inactivity=30.  Figuring it
takes 45 seconds for the tablet to reboot, the records should be clean
when it go around to trying to reconnect.

THIS DIDN'T SOLVE IT.

So, I must be missing something.  Any help?

config:

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211

logger_stdout=2
logger_stdout_level=1
logger_syslog=2
logger_syslog_level=2

ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0

ieee8021x=1
eap_server=0
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
eap_reauth_period=0
eapol_version=1

ssid=My-Test
country_code=US
hw_mode=g
channel=1
beacon_int=100
auth_algs=1

dynamic_vlan=2
vlan_file=hostapd.vlan
vlan_tagged_interface=wlan0

wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

# this inactivity poll is just used as a nicer way of verifying
# inactivity; i.e., client will not report broken connection because
# disassociation frame is not sent immediately without first polling
# the STA with a data frame.
# default: 300 (i.e., 5 minutes)
ap_max_inactivity=30

#  RADIUS stuff
own_ip_addr=192.168.0.1  # The interface IP
nas_identifier=my_test
auth_server_addr=127.0.0.1 # Where is the radius server
auth_server_port=1812      # The port the radius server runs on
auth_server_shared_secret=RadiusKeyGoesHere