Automatic channel selection

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Nov 22 11:24:01 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:25:29AM +0000, Edward Cragg wrote:
> I've seen the implementation of automatic channel selection (ACS) in hostapd.
>
> My problem is, that i need to implement ACS, in an application which uses
> wpa_supplicant, but not hostapd.

Which use case are you thinking of here? P2P or non-P2P AP mode?

> I'd really like to find out whether it would be appropriate at all to try to
> implement ACS within wpa_supplicant.
>
> I would be undertaking to implement this ACS algorithm, and wondered whether
> this would be likely to be something upstream is interested in.

There are already mechanism for the driver to indicate the preferred
frequencies mostly for P2P use cases, but those are not supported by
most driver interfaces today. In general, it would make sense to extend
the ACS implementation used by hostapd to work with wpa_supplicant.
However, this should be done in a way that works for both non-P2P AP and
P2P use cases where the latter needs to be doable without actually
starting an AP interface (e.g., prior to starting GO Negotiation).