Using wpa_supplicant.conf with removable WiFi modules?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon May 25 07:49:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 06:09:54AM +0000, John Ernberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're trying to use wpa_supplicant 2.4 with our removable WiFi module
> for P2P connections. It requires some device specific settings that we
> specified in the .conf file. The problem is that due to how
> configurations are assigned to interfaces, we have to restart
> wpa_supplicant every time we re-insert the module. This is not
> preferable to us.
>
> Is there a way to assign these settings to wpa_supplicant so they become
> global for the entire execution period? If not, is there any reason as
> to why it was designed like this?
>
> The settings are these:
>
> driver_param
> device_name
> device_type
> p2p_no_group_iface

It would make sense to support these, but I'd need to see wpa_supplicant
debug log showing removal and re-insert sequences. In any case, I don't
think this was designed in a way that would avoid reconfiguring these
parameters for the new interface, but rather, this is something that has
not been considered in the past for this remove/re-add case.

> p2p_listen_reg_class
> p2p_listen_channel
> p2p_oper_reg_class
> p2p_oper_channel

These parameters should not really be used and they are subject to be
removed.. There are much better ways of achieving channel selection
through the control interface for P2P and these four parameters were
meant only for development time testing purposes.