wpa_supplicant cannot authenticate connection on prism2 radios if interface names do not match

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Mar 29 02:16:53 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:13:46PM +0100, Thomas Richter wrote:
> >I would consider it a bug that the supplicant has to depend on the
> >matched names.  However, if the driver provides no mechanism to
> >determine the sibling from the other interface, then obviously the bug
> >in the supplicant could not be fixed until the driver exposes that kind
> >of information.
>
> Well, the information on the pairing is actually available in the
> sysfs filing system. Thus,
>
> /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/
>
> contains two directories, namely the two network interfaces the
> device manages.

This is a driver bug in the first place (WEXT events delivered on
incorrect netdev), i.e., we are talking about a workaround in
wpa_supplicant that should have really been fixed in the driver years
ago.. Anyway, that driver has not really received much love over the
last ten or so years, so we might as well extend the workaround to cover
the case of renamed interfaces.

> Anyhow, whatever the fix is, please let me know if I can try anything here.

http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=e8e365def62b8d549063493479d4587827d9a5d6
takes care of it for me.

> BTW, you do not necessarily need PCMCIA to test this, it "only"
> needs the hostap kernel driver. In this particular case, it is even
> a mini-PCI card, but I have the same chip in a PCMCIA card.

Getting even a PCI card with hostap_pci into working state took some
effort (though, this was one of the cards that requires firmware to be
loaded and doing that manually was a bit complex).. Things have
certainly improved in usability over the years.. :)