Getting started with HS20 r2 (OSU client/server and such?)

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 17 00:04:16 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 05:12:53PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> From reading a bunch of whitepapers on the topic, it appears that
> you need an open or OSEN ap for the initial OSU traffic.
>
> a) So, for a simplistic setup, perhaps you use one virtual AP interface
> as the OSEN, and then have a second that is running 802.1x.
>
> Or, is there some way to make one hostapd instance able to do both?

What do you mean with a hostapd instance in this context? A single
hostapd process can do this with two virtual interfaces.

> (I tried just adding osen=1, but now the thing shows up as WEP encrypted,
>  in the scan results of wpa_cli, which I am not sure is right...)

Number of clients may recognize OSEN configuration as WEP.

> Assuming a) is right, then maybe the connection logic is to look for any
> Open or OSEN APs advertising HS20, connect to them if we can find them, fetch list of icons
> using 'wpa_cli ... fetch_osu', present these to the user, and let them make the selection.

Not exactly.. Take a look at how hs20-osu-client implements the signup
command (cmd_signup() function). It goes through the full sequence of
FETCH_OSU, OSU provider information parsing and selection by the user,
connection to open or OSEN network, SPP or OMA-DM -based subscription
registration, and connection to the main data network.