wpa_supplicant in FIPS 140-2 mode

Jate Sujjavanich jatedev
Fri Jul 31 12:16:24 PDT 2015

> Hmm.. That would be somewhat of an unfortunate direction.. My goal has
> been more to reduce externally required crypto implementation than
> adding it, i.e., this change would be reverting an earlier cleanup. It's
> a bit unfortunate if OpenSSL does not provide a FIPS mode compatible
> mechanism for AES key wrapping.

In this post on openssl-users -
http://marc.info/?l=openssl-users&m=140075543711643&w=2 - one of the
maintainers of OpenSSL provides an example of how to use the allowed higher
level EVP_* calls to implement FIPS mode-compatible AES key wrapping. The
code in the example very closely matches the code within aes-wrap.c and
aes-unwrap.c. I suggested re-adding that code to avoid code duplication
without realizing that it's a revert of f19c907

Would putting the aes_wrap and aes_unwrap calls from aes-[un]wrap.c into
crypto_openssl.c work?

- Jate S.