Windows + 802.1x

Christian Lamparter chunkeey
Fri Jul 24 09:44:05 PDT 2015

On 7/23/15, Yury Shvedov <yshvedov at arccn.ru> wrote:
> I'm using part of hostapd code in my project to perform wpa/wpa2/802.1x
> authentication. It works good in scheme  Client <---> Authenticator
> <---> FreeRadius until Client runs under Windows. With Windows after
> successful 802.1x authentication, my (partly hostapd's) authenticator
> sends 4-way response messages, but Windows doesn't respond. Android and
> iOS clients works well.
> Have someone faced with this issue withing hostapd developing?

This sounds exactly like an old problem I had with XP/2003. If this is the case,
then the easiest solution would be to update your version of Windows.
As these old OSes are no longer supported by Microsoft (and also don't support
TLS 1.2 [0], which is important too!)

If you want to know more the issue, you can take a look at this KB entry [1].
In my case the crucial part was that the "server computer certificate" needed
to be configured with "the Server Authentication purpose". Once this was
done, it worked.

Later Windows Versions (Vista, ...) didn't seem to care about this anymore,
so they work out of the box.

Regards,
Christian

[0] <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaushal/archive/2011/10/02/support-for-ssl-tls-protocols-on-windows.aspx>