mix AP and wireless client

Dan Williams dcbw
Wed Jan 21 09:35:30 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 11:05 +0100, Harm Verhagen wrote:
> Ignoring the lack  of "valid interface combinations:"    just trying a 2nd
> interface

Lack of "valid interface combinations" means that the driver is not
advertising the ability, and therefore we cannot assume that it actually
works.  The kernel support for this has been around 2011 (kernel version
3.0) so any driver that doesn't support it probably doesn't work well...

I see you said GWF-3M05 which appears to be a ralink device.  Which
kernel version and which ralink driver are you using?  Are you using
rt2800usb or are you using a vendor driver?

Dan

>     iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan0-STA type managed
>
>     ip link set dev wlan0-STA address 7C:CD:EF:00:01:02    # prevent  "Name
> not unique on network" error
>
> ifup wlan0-STA    works fine as STA, connects and gets ip.
>
> But then upping wlan (just a static ip, no hostapd yet) fails
>
>     $ ifup wlan0
>
>     ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available
>
>     ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available

This error usually appears to mean out-of-memory when constructing
netlink packets, which is the protocol that 'iw' and the kernel use to
communicate.  So clearly there are either driver or kernel stack bugs or
issues on this platform.

Dan