wpa_supplicant auth_alg SHARED |& OPEN

Erich Titl erich.titl
Tue Jan 6 03:46:01 PST 2015

Hi

When the average user connects to a WEP protected network, most of the
time he is ignorant of the auth_alg he should select. Most of the
implementations I have used are indifferent of this. In order to cover
this I had to write 2 network stanzas, one with auth_alg=SHARED and the
other leaving it away, so it would use the default.

network={
    ssid="scoobly"
    auth_alg=SHARED
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0="abcdefghijklm"
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

network={
    ssid="scoobly"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0="abcdefghijklm"
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

I am preparing a user interface which allows the user to select a SSID.
I can easily distinguish between WPA and WEP, but not which type of
auth_alg is used by the AP.

Is there a way to write a network stanza which would be indifferent to
the type auth_alg of the network to connect to?

Thanks

Erich Titl