Hostapd ACS not changing from previously selected channel

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Feb 21 07:03:54 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:52:20AM +0100, Mega wrote:
> Am 11.02.2015 um 14:26 schrieb Jouni Malinen:
> >On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:31:04PM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
> >>When I am changing to ACS mode, the radio comes up with the previously
> >>selected channel. Is this behaviour to be expected?
> >
> >What exactly do you mean with "changing to ACS mode"? What are the exact
> >steps you did to do that?
>
> I changed to
>
> channel=0
>
> in hostapd.conf and restarted hostapd

This is not the expected behavior. I cannot reproduce this with ath9k,
so I'd assume this is specific to the driver (and potentially even the
version of that driver) that you used. Even with ath9k, I do see a bit
different behavior for the previous operating channel since survey
results for it are available from much longer period. Anyway, that did
not prevent other channels from being selected (nor the previous channel
if it turned out to be the best candidate).