wpa_supplicant private library compilation error

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Dec 24 10:52:59 PST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 07:38:01AM -0500, anjalik at iwavesystems.com wrote:
>     I have a doubt in compiling the wpa_supplicant private
> processing library which can be usually seen under a folder
> wpa_supplicant_lib. It has driver_cmd_nl80211.c file which I need
> for wpa_supplicant compilation with NL80211 support.
>

> When I downloaded the AndroidL 5.0.2 from git this folder was
> missing . So I copied the folder from already existing Kitkat BSP.
> Initially I compiled with replacing the whole lollipop
> wpa_Supplicant_8 folder with kitkat  wpa_supplicant_8 folder. But
> the compilation thrown many warnings but built was successful.

This sounds like something that is very specific to how some Android
builds with vendor specific functionality is used. That is not really in
scope of the upstream wpa_supplicant effort since none of those external
folders exist here..

> But I need to work with built-in wpa_supplicant of Lollipop and the
> private processing library from kitkat. It is throwing error
> unfortunately and build is being stopped. The error is
>
> driver_nl80211.c:function wpa_driver_nl80211_ops: error: undefined
> reference to 'wpa_driverset_ap_wps_p2p_ie'
> driver_nl80211.c:function wpa_driver_nl80211_ops: error: undefined
> reference to 'wpa_driver_get_p2p_noa'
> driver_nl80211.c:function wpa_driver_nl80211_ops: error: undefined
> reference to 'wpa_driver_nl80211_driver_cmd'

That sounds like trying to build an incompatible combination of core
wpa_supplicant and a private library.

> Is it required to use the same version of wpa_supplicant_lib and
> wpa_supplicant?

Likely yes.

> How can I compile Kitkat (wpa_supplicant version 2.1-devel)
> wpa_supplicant private library for Lollipop wpa_supplicant version
> 2.3-devel?

I'd be surprised if that worked as-is, i.e., you would need to port one
of those to match the API used by the other.. I'm not sure I understand
what you are trying to do here, though, since this type of combination
of parts from KK and L merged together is unlikely to work in the first
place.