How to disable SSID escaping (send raw bytes sequence) when sending RADIUS data to RADIUS server?

LiuYan 刘研 lovetide at qq.com
Wed Dec 23 21:29:58 PST 2015

I'm currently using hostapd and FreeRADIUS to setup several WiFi APs using WPA2-Enterprise authentication protocol.

I saw all Called-Station-Id values are escaped to printf-escaped string.
For example, a UTF-8 encoded SSID name "中文😂"(10 bytes) will be escaped to
'\xe4\xb8\xad\xe6\x96\x87\xf0\x9f\x98\x82' (40 bytes).

As you see, the bytes length is 4 times of the original bytes length.
and that's not the end of the story, FreeRADIUS will continue escape the '\' to '\\',
and then continue escape '\\' to '=5C=5C' after saved to database.
Now a single NON-ASCII byte becomes to a string in '=5C=5CxHH' form, the length is 9 times of the original.

So, can I config hostapd to disable SSID escaping (send raw bytes sequences) when sending data to RADIUS server?