wpa_supplicant 2.4/2.5 issue with some Intel chipsets

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Fri Dec 18 06:07:58 PST 2015

While I am not personally experiencing any issues with wpa_supplicant
2.5 (not using an Intel wifi card though), we have had several people
reporting connection issues downstream in Arch Linux.

It appears to be related to the creation and/or usage of P2P management
interfaces on some Intel chipsets. (Pardon any wrong terminology, I am
not familiar with the wireless stack.)

A common error message appears to be:

  Could not read interface p2p-dev-wlp2s0 flags: No such device

As seen in this report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47428

On another report, someone commented that passing "-m ''" to
wpa_supplicant makes it work. [1] In this case, wpa_supplicant is called
by another tool which also makes use of the -W flag.

Even putting aside the second report in which wpa_supplicant is not
invoked directly, surely the first report where the command line is
somewhat basic should not result in a "Could not read interface
p2p-dev-wlp2s0 flags: No such device" error; or are we missing something?

Thanks in advance for any and all pointers!

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44731#comment141718