Hostapd Accounting Update on inactivity timeout for 802.1x enabled

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 14 13:15:05 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:38:36AM +0530, Nagaraj wrote:
> I was testing the Hostapd with radius server when i found out that
> inactivity timeout received from the radius server was
> not getting used ,and only the idle time out configured in the
> deamon  Config file (#ap_max_inactivity=300) was used for sending
> accounting update (during inactivity ).
>
> So i updated the following file in hostapd/src/ap folder ( patch is
> attached below) to take into account the inactivity time sent by the
> radius server.
>
> It worked ,but would it be right way to go about it .

> +void ap_sta_idle_timeout(struct hostapd_data *hapd, struct sta_info *sta,
> +			    u32 inactvity_timeout)

> +                hapd->conf->ap_max_inactivity = inactvity_timeout;

I don't think it would be a good idea to replace the ap_max_inactivity
configuration parameter (which applies to every STA in the BSS) with a
value received from RADIUS authentication server for a single STA. It
would be more flexible to store this possible available parameter in
struct sta_info and use it instead of hapd->conf->ap_max_inactivity when
the overriding value is available.