Apple devices having problem connecting to hostapd hotspot

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Apr 29 11:22:08 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 01:46:23PM +0000, Matt Nourse wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem with Apple devices- have tried an iPhone 6, Mac
> OS 10.9.5 and Mac OS 10.10.3.  Android connects OK.  I haven't found any
> resolution to this problem on any mailing list or forum, is there a known
> fix/config change?

Based on your followup email, I'd direct this question to the driver
maintainers since this sounded like a driver specific issue rather than
something triggered by hostapd.

> The Apple devices connect successfully enough that dnsmasq assigns them an
> IP address & they respond to pings for a few seconds, but not successfully
> enough that they think they are connected.
>
> Below are the details.  Jouni, do you still want a wireless capture, and if
> so what's your preferred method for me to do the capture?

> root at nucgw:~# lsusb | grep Realtek
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS

> output of hostapd -ddt /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf:
> http://pastebin.com/YWhUJtrz

Based on that log, there does not seem to be anything that hostapd would
be doing here, i.e., the station decides to disconnect based on
something. Since this is working fine in my tests with ath9k and you
also noted that it works with TP-Link TL-WN722N (ath9k_htc as the
driver, I'd assume), it sounds like the issue reported here is specific
to the RTL8188CUS component/driver. I don't work with it, so I don't
need a capture file of this anymore.