eap authenticator

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Sep 26 10:59:43 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:51:37AM +0400, Shvedov Yury wrote:
> So, to pull out eapol_auth from hostapd and put it to my project
> correctly, I have to implement environment of hostapd such as eloop.
> This is not problem, but problem is in thread safety. My project
> have multi-thread nature unlike hostapd.
>
> The question is: can someone give me an advice about
> thread-protection of hostapd eap authenticator? Does each call use
> some global data or I can leave some calls without lock supposing
> that each entity (wireless client) handles in only one thread?

There is no protection within the EAPOL or EAP authenticator
implementation for multi-threaded cases. If you are trying to use this
implementation from hostapd in a design where events may be indicated
from multiple threads concurrently, you would need to make sure that
there is no code path that can end up calling into the hostapd code
concurrently from multiple threads.