WPA2-PSK and WPA-EAP together?

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Sep 9 01:18:10 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 08:34:46PM +0000, Conrad Kostecki wrote:
> Okay. I've looked through it. One device is my SqueezeBox UE Radio (Downgrade to SqueezeBox Firmware). It can't connect, because it says, WPA-EAP / WPA2-EAP is not supported, only WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK.

That sounds like a UI issue..

> When I remove from wpa_key_mgmt= EAP and leave only PSK, it works immediately. But it's not a general problem. I've tried my Windows 8 notebook. This one works with WPA2-PSK and WPA2-EAP fine.

There have been number of Windows drivers that fail to connect with
PSK+EAP, but hopefully fixes for most of those are available nowadays.

> So this problem is only to a specific device. Can I fix this somehow? I don't want to disable WPA-EAP because of one device :(

Well, there is an option of running multiple BSSes (i.e., one beaconing
BSS with WPA2-PSK and another one with WPA2-EAP) to work around this
type of issues. If your WLAN hardware and driver supports this, that
would likely be the easiest option if there is a station that cannot be
fixed to support multiple AKMs.